State park campsites still available for Memorial Day weekend
About 250 state park and recreation area campsites still have three-day availability for Memorial Day weekend, but they won’t last long, so the Department of Natural Resources advises making reservations as soon as possible.
The parks with the most campsites still reservable for the entire three-day weekend include:
- Lake Bronson State Park, north of Thief River Falls, the site of the world’s largest jack pine, an observation tower and a swimming beach—57 sites available.
- St. Croix State Park, Hinckley, where there’s canoeing, biking and interpretive programs—33 sites available.
- Zippel Bay State Park, on Lake of the Woods, where there’s swimming, fishing and boating—25 sites available.
- Red River State Recreation Area, East Grand Forks, where reasons to visit include biking, fishing and campsites with full hookups—21 sites available (three with full hookups).
- Schoolcraft State Park, Deer River, for canoeing, fishing and picnicking amid a virgin pine forest—18 sites available.
- Scenic State Park, Bigfork, for fishing, canoeing and hiking in a wilderness setting similar to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness—16 sites available.
- La Salle Lake State Recreation Area, near Park Rapids, for canoeing, fishing and proximity to Itasca State Park—14 sites available.